Step 1: Install the Windows Subsystem for Linux
Before installing any Linux distros for WSL, you must ensure that the “Windows Subsystem for Linux” optional feature is enabled:
1. Open PowerShell as Administrator and run:
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux
2. Restart your computer when prompted.
Step 2: Install your Linux Distribution of Choice
To download and install your preferred distro(s), you have three choices:
1. Download and install from the Windows Store (see below)
2. Download and install from the Command-Line/Script (read the manual installation instructions)
3. Download and manually unpack and install (for Windows Server – instructions here)
Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and later: Install from the Microsoft Store:
Finally, setup your linux account and run.